Tuesday, March 8, 2011

El Mago de las Fritas

Anyone who visits Miami must eat a Cuban Hamburger, or Frita.  It is a culinary experience not to be missed!

It usually consists of a mix of ground beef and ground chorizo, a secret sauce (similar to ketchup) and tiny, tiny fried string potatoes on a cuban roll. 

You can eat one at most Cuban restaurants but they are better at genuine frita joints.  I was a lover of El Rey de las Fritas until very recently.  However, hands down, my favorite is now "El Mago de la Frita."

The first thing that impressed me me was the cleanliness of the establishment.  It is as clean as a  home. You would not imagine that so many people visit this place daily. 

While we waited for our fritas, my husband Alex interrogated the owner, "El Mago".  Alex loves to ask questions and he just couldn't resist asking EL Mago all about President Obama's visit to the restaurant in October, 2010.  He was proud of the visit and it shows with the many photos of the event all over the restaurant. 

Then came the best part... we were presented with our fritas...they looked so delectable, I forgot to take the picture and started eating it. 
With the first bite, I was hooked.  It was the best frita I've ever had.  I can't believe its taken me so long to find it!  Not only did it taste fresh and light but also not greasy.  An amazing feat!

I recommend this frita wholeheartedly...you must try it!

Go try one or two and then post your comments on this blog.