Saturday, August 6, 2011

Recipe for Father/Son Bonding Experience or The Walk

Looking back at June 21, 2011 and after a full day of back-to-back meetings being couped up in an office, I decided to kidnap my son.  It was about 4:30 p.m. and we were at 51st and Collins Avenue.  It was time to go for a walk, but not an ordinary walk as it was just the two of us with Mom and little sister at a Girls Scout event.  It was my time, our time to do something different.  It goes something like this.

We put on comfortable walking shoes:  We headed south on the beach toward South Beach.  At about 40th ST.  is the beginning of a wooden boardwalk.  This boardwalk extends behind the hotels and condos lining mid-Miami Beach all the way to 19th Street where I thought our walk would end (more on that later).  Along the way, we saw many colorful people also walking, but some running, jogging, fighting, and swimming in the ocean. We even got to walk along the newly renovated Fontainebleau resort.






We stopped to hydrate:  After we reached 19th street, the city built a normal paved sidewalk that extends to 17th Street where the Beach Walk starts.  We have been staying in the beach for over 15 years and I never knew the boardwalk turned into a beautifully paved sidewalk all the way to South Beach.  So, along this path we stopped a few times for some rest and water before we got to our final destination:  800 Ocean Drive.
The world-famous News Cafe was waiting for us and I don't think I've ever eaten there with my son.  Open 24 hours a day, this is the place to see and be seen.  You sit along the sidewalk, enjoy a good meal (with some refreshing drink), and people watch.  My son and I enjoyed some burgers and he had his favorite "virgin" drink.







Ate  and took a detour on the way home:  At News Cafe, I started thinking about taking a taxi home as it would be getting dark within the hour and we still wanted to hang out a little bit longer.  I got on Fandango on my iPhone and found that Super 8 was playing at Regal Cinema on Lincoln Road (South Florida's premier outdoor pedestrian mall).  It makes you feel like you're in Europe.  We decided to take a detour and go watch the film before going home.  As we entered the theater and went up the escalators, we had about 10 minutes before the film started.   We went to a rooftop deck from the theater for a view of Lincoln Road.  My son and I talked about the walk and he couldn't believe we walked so far and it didn't feel like it because we just had fun.  These are the moments after a long day at work that I want every single day x 10.





I bet you are asking how the movie was.  It was a perfect end to a great afternoon.  As posted on my Facebook status right after the movie:  Just saw Super 8 with my 12-year-old son. We both loved it. It was a perfect mix of Stand By Me, E.T., and Goonies with a hint of Lost (the T.V. Show) and Transformers. It has a big heart, made me nostalgic for 1979 and shows the audience today that a good cinema experience does not have to include a superhero or 3D in the title. Go see it."

- Alex